The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, consisting of individual nerve roots that begin by branching out from the spine and then combine to form the sciatic nerve.
- The sciatic nerve begins in the lower back, usually at the lumbar segment 3 (L3).
- At each level of the lower spine a nerve root exists from the inner part of the spinal canal and each of them combine to form a large sciatic nerve.
- The sciatic nerve begins from the lower back, goes through the buttock, and down the back of the legs.
The term sciatica pain is used to describe leg pain, affecting about 43 percent of the population. It rarely develops before age 20, and middle-aged individuals are most prone to suffering from it.
Most people who experience sciatica pain get better in a couple of weeks or months and relieve their pain with nonsurgical treatment. However, the leg pain from a pinched nerve can be debilitating for others.
6 Most Common Causes of Sciatica
- Lumbar herniated disc
- Degenerative disc disease
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Piriformis syndrome
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
Common Sciatica Symptoms
- Pain in one side of the buttock/ leg, and rarely in both sides
- Pain that starts in the low back or buttock and continues down the thigh
- Pain that worsens when sitting or standing
- Pain described as searing or sharp
- Numbness or weakness down the leg
- Numbness or weakness when moving the leg
- Shooting pain in one leg, which makes it difficult to walk or stand up
- Pain and other symptoms in the toes
The most common nonsurgical treatments include:
Heat or ice is applied for about twenty minutes, and repeated every two hour. The two might be alternated.
The most common medications include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen or naproxen), or oral steroids.
Epidural steroid injections
An injection goes directly into the painful area around the sciatic nerve.
Alternative Sciatica Treatment
- Chiropractic/manual manipulation
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Massage therapy
If the pain is severe or does not get better, a surgery might be necessary.
This article presents an all-natural remedy for sciatica relief, which is safe, simple, yet extremely effective. It uses ingredients like garlic and rice milk, both of which are known for their pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 1 cup of rice milk (or almond milk)
- 5 garlic cloves
- Wash the garlic cloves and peel them
- Blend the peeled garlic cloves in a blender or crush them with a mortar and pestle
- Add the milk and honey, and mix until fully combined
Drink the mixture on a daily basis to relieve sciatica pain!
How It Works?
This remedy is packed with minerals like zinc, selenium, and magnesium; vitamins like A, B1, B2, B6 and C, as well as fiber, protein, enzymes, and antioxidants. In addition to relieving sciatica pain, it will boost your immunity and prevent a wide range of health issues too.