While there are many types of low-carb diets available, the truth is that a virtual NO-CARB diet doesn’t exist. This article presents certain foods and groups of foods which contain less than a gram of carbohydrates per serving, which makes them sort of no-carb foods. In other words, anything under 1 gram net carbs per serving is as good as zero. However, don’t forget to always check the label of the food prior buying it.
All these foods naturally contain no carbohydrates, except for the veggies that contain 0-1 net carbohydrates per serving. When buying meat and seafood make sure you always go for unprocessed variety. The reason is very simple: when eating processed meat like ham, jerky, and bacon, the likelihood of unintentionally adding carbs to your diet is much higher.
VEGETABLES ( 0-1 net carbs per serving)
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Chicory family (endive, escarole, radicchio)
- Leafy greens (lettuce, arugula, spinach, Swiss chard, kale, turnip greens, Bok Choy etc.)
- Fresh herbs
- Pork rinds
- Organ meats
- Heavy cream
- Most types of cheese
- Avocado oil
- Olive oil
- Sesame oil
- Coconut oil
- Safflower oil
- Peanut oil
- Sunflower oil
- Peanut oil
- Vinegar, expect for balsamic
- Regular mayonnaise
- Hot sauce
- Herbal tea
- Tea ( without sugar or milk)
- Mix Powders like Crystal Light
- Coffee ( without sugar or milk)
- Diet soda
3 Simple Zero Carb Recipes
1. Lettuce Steak Wraps
This lunch recipe is extremely easy to prepare, and it uses only a few ingredients. Ingredients:
- 2 flat steaks
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- Lettuce leaves
- Seasoning blend
Season and fry the steak first. Slice it and put in two piles on baking tray lined with silicone mat. Pour the cheese over and broil until it melts. Serve the steak on large lettuce leaves.
This recipe yields only 0.2 net carbs per serving.
2. Microwave Pepperoni Chips
The pepperoni chips recipe is an easy and delicious snack and is full of flavor.
- 3oz pepperoni
Put the pepperoni slice on a kitchen paper and then on a microwaveable plate. Cook them until crispy, which approximately takes about a minute. Finally, soak up excess oil by placing another piece of paper over the top.
This recipe yields 1 g net carbs per serving.
3. Italian Baked Chicken Thighs
Low in carbohydrates, yet packed with flavor! Simple as that!
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin removed)
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat the oven to 375F. Mix the herbs, onion powder, cheese, and black pepper. Dip the chicken thigh in the melted butter and then into the cheese mixture. Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
Note: Less than 1g net carb per serving!
6 Tips for Eating Zero Carb
- Eat more animal- based products like meat, dairy, and eggs
- Eat meat, eggs, and dairy until you feel full in order to avoid cravings for other foods
- Stay away from sweets
- Get enough fat
- Eat when you are hungry and don’t count calories
- Stay hydrated during the day by drinking zero carb beverage like water, herbal tea, or unsweetened coffee