Coconuts have been around for quite a long time, for thousands of years. As a matter of fact, they were first mentioned by Portuguese and Spanish explorers who described them as a coco (monkey face) growing in tall trees. Various islands consider coconuts to be “the cure for all illness!”
1. Antibacterial, Antiviral, Antifungal, Antiparasitic Properties
Coconut oil contains monolaurin, an ingredient that is known for its bug-fighting properties. It has been scientifically shown that coconut milk helps protect against various kinds of fungi, bacteria, and viruses. Most importantly, it preserves the good bacteria whole fighting against the bad ones.
2. Blood Sugar Regulation
Coconuts have a relatively low GI, which measures how fast carbs raise blood sugar levels. It is important to keep sugar levels stable, as sudden spikes and falls can increase the risk of diabetes.
3. Craving Control
Yes! Coconuts even help reduce unhealthy cravings.
4. Heart Health
Coconuts are made up of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA), which have no negative effects on cholesterol. People who consume coconuts on a regular basis (such as populations like Polynesia or Sri Lanka) have low rates of cholesterol and heart disease.
5. Weight Management
Coconuts prevent obesity by suppressing appetite and accelerating the metabolism.
Coconut oil is one of the best oils to cook with! You can heat it to high temperature without it going bad or losing nutritional value. Other oils like olive oil tend to go rancid when heated and are better used foe salad dressings. Coconut oil is great in the oven, on the stove, and in your body!
Ways To Enjoy Coconuts
Here are the top ways to enjoy coconuts:
1. Coconut Milk: It can be used to thicken sauces and soups, in curry, or as substitute for dairy.
2. Coconut Oil: As discussed above, it is great alternative to vegetable oil.
3. Coconut Flakes: Great addition to morning smoothes and afternoon snacks.
4. Coconut Water: A great summer drink that keeps you hydrated and supplies your body with replenishing electrolytes.
5. Coconut Flour: A healthy, tasty, and gluten-free alternative to other flours.
6. Coconut Milk Ice Cream: Vegan, dairy-free and sugar-free ice cream made with coconut milk, coconut butter, stevia, and cardamom.
7. Pomegranate Coconut Mousse: ( recipe below)
Pomegranate Coconut Mousse
- 2 cups unsweetened Pomegranate Juice
- 3 tsp agar agar powder
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ½ tsp alcohol free vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¾ c. pomegranate arils
- Pour ¼ c of the pomegranate juice in a bowl and sprinkle the agar agar powder on the top
- Mix the remaining pomegranate with the honey and bring to boil
- Add the boiling mixture to the previously made mixture and mix well
- Simmer the mixture for a while, and then allow it to cool to room temperature
- Add the vanilla extract and coconut milk and keep refrigerated for half an hour
- Mix well by hand or blend, once it is starting to thicken
- Top with pomegranate arils and coconut flakes