Basically, detoxification means cleansing the blood. It is done by removing toxic waste and impurities from the blood in the liver, which processes the toxins for removal. The body also removes toxins through the skin, lungs, lymphatic system, intestines, and the kidneys.
Detoxification is a naturally built process into the body to keep it healthy and functioning properly. The medical community argues that there is no need to do a cleanse, as the body has everything it needs for detoxification. But, doesn’t this make you wonder exactly where the truth lies?
A Quick Look At Our Amazing Detoxification Process
The human detoxification system, which eliminates accumulated toxic waste and impurities, is made up of 5 organs: the liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs and skin, also known as emunctories. The waste created by the body and the ones accumulated from the outside the body are processed and eliminated through the same system.
This starts with the liver filtering waste from the blood and metabolizing them forms which can be removed in one of the ways below:
- Liquid wastes through the urinary system – the kidneys and the bladder
- Sweating through the skin
- Gaseous wastes through the lungs
- Solids through the intestines
As you can see, the body is equipped with the tools needed for detoxification, but many people are still not maintaining health. The reason? Body`s system might be overwhelmed to the point that these mechanisms are unable to keep up. Even though the body is indeed miraculous, it sometimes needs some help.
Here are the three major ways that the body and detoxification system gets overloaded:
- From the personal care products you use: Using chemical-based products like shampoos, makeup and lotions on a regular basis.
- From environmental exposure: What you use to clean and scent your clothes and your home as well as the air pollutants you are exposed to.
- Through the food you eat: Processed foods, excessive levels of sugar, alcohol, caffeine and exposure to pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones.
4 Key Signs That Your Body Is Under Toxic Stress
Here are a few ways to determine whether your body is under toxic stress:
1. Gastrointestinal System
Symptoms: Constipation, digestive stress, gas, diarrhea, smelly stools, bad breath, bloating.
The skin is the largest organ in the body and the ultimate exit point to remove toxins.
Symptoms: Eczema, psoriasis, rashes, boils, acne.
3. Chronic Inflammation
It indicates toxic distress and contributes to development of more serious diseases.
Symptoms: Muscle stiffness, trouble losing weight, persistent fatigue, headaches, gout, joint pain.
4. Allergic or autoimmune reactions
These show that the defense system is overloaded or fatigued.
Symptoms: Excessive mucus, sinus infections, dark circles under the eyes, watery eyes, postnasal drip, congestion.
Here are some of the ways you can boost your detoxification process:
- Improve your diet by avoiding processed foods, eating more plant-based foods, and reading labels carefully.
- Begin your day with warm lemon water
- Stay hydrated during the day
- Exercise on a regular basis to move the lymphatic system, to sweat more, and to build a strong body
- Do a short term cleanse under the guidance of an expert
- Swap commercial household cleaning products for your DIY products
- Avoid ingredients like parabens, alcohol and SLS in personal care products