Whether we want to admit it or not, celebrities are always the ones to give us perception of the most recent trends and lifestyle changes on the market. Therefore, when a celebrity like Halle Berry praises a diet that helps her stay healthy, we always listen.
Halle Berry Raves About Ketogenic Diet
Halle Berry, age 51, has been on the Hollywood`s radar for a long time now, and through everything has been able to keep a toned and healthy body, living as diabetic all the while.
“Being diabetic most of my life, I have always had to take food very seriously” Berry writes. “So for years, I have been following the keto or ketogenic diet. I hate the word ‘diet’ so while you’ll see the word diet, just know I encourage you to think of it as a lifestyle change NOT A DIET!”
“The keto lifestyle offers so many benefits such as weight loss, (moms that’s how we get rid of our baby bellies), appetite control, more energy and better mental performance,” she continued. “If you’re like me, you can possibly reverse type 2 diabetes, you’ll experience better physical endurance, better skin and also less acne if that’s an issue. And it even helps control migraines!” Berry writes on her Instagram account.
The celebrity has struggled with diabetes for most of her life. About ten years ago, she went from type I diabetes to a type II after stopping insulin use. She claims that diet and exercise were the only thing that did help her overcome the disease.
How The Ketogenic Diet Works
The ketogenic diet is a low carb diet which stimulates the body to produce ketones to be used as energy source.
Lowering carbs intake induces a state of ketosis, a natural process that the body enters in order to helps us survive in situations when food intake is low.
The goal of ketogenic diet is to push the body into this state, which isn’t done through starvation, but a reduction of carbohydrates.
The Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
In addition to celebrities` recognition of the significance of ketogenic diet, scientists have done various studies that have confirmed the health benefits of this diet. Among them are:
Help protect against cancer
- Weight loss
- Reduce risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduce risk of heart disease
- Help protect against cancer
- Fight brain disease and neurological disorders
- Extend life expectancy
A study was done on 83 obese patients, all suffering from high glucose and high cholesterol. It was found that after 24 weeks on the ketogenic diet, the body mass and the weight of the participants significantly decreased.
How to Factor the Ketogenic Diet Into Your Life
The more restrictive you are with carbs, the faster you will enter into a ketogenic state. Generally speaking, your nutrient intake should be 70% fats, 25% protein and 5% carbohydrate.
- Leafy Greens – kale, spinach, etc.
- Above ground vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- High Fat Dairy – butter, hard cheeses, high fat cream, etc.
- Other fats – coconut oil, high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, etc
- Meats – poultry, fish, beef, lamb, etc.
- Nuts and seeds –sunflower seeds, macadamias, walnuts, etc.
- Avocado and berries – blackberries, raspberries, and other low glycemic impact berries
- Sweeteners – monk fruit, stevia, erythritol, and other low carb sweeteners.
- Tubers – potato, yams, etc.
- Grains – cereal, wheat, corn, rice, etc.
- Fruit –oranges, apples, bananas, etc.
- Sugar – honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.