According to Ayurvedic philosophy, choices made in terms of your daily routine can either build up resistance to a certain disease or completely knock it down. This is the reason why everyone should start making healthy rituals, such as drinking pineapple water as part of their morning ritual.
Pineapple, one of the most popular fruits, is a tropical, perennial plant. It is essentially a short stem with long leaves, and it may reach up to eight feet in height. It develops from tiny fruitlets that surround the core, and its outer skin is rough and tough.
It offers a wide range of health benefits, including the following:
- Fresh pineapple is very low in calories. A 100g serving provides about 50 calories, which equals to that of apples. The flesh doesn’t contain any cholesterol and saturated fats, yet it is a solid source of dietary fiber.
- Pineapple contains bromelain, a compound that breaks down protein and thus helps digest food. This enzyme also possesses anti-clotting, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been scientifically shown that regular consumption of pineapple helps fight worm infestation, indigestion, and arthritis.
- Pineapple is packed with vitamin C, an antioxidant that is needed for collagen synthesis in the body. Collagen is a protein that is required for keeping integrity of bones, organs, skin, and blood vessels. Therefore, regular consumption of vitamin C-rich foods helps prevent scurvy and build up resistance against infectious agents.
- It also contains vitamin A and B-carotene, both of which are known for their antioxidant properties. It has been scientifically shown that eating fruits high in flavonoids protects against oral cavity and lung cancers.
- Ultimately, pineapple is rich in vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, folates and minerals such as potassium, manganese, and copper. Potassium keeps blood pressure in check, manganese is a potent free radical scavenger, and copper is needed for red blood cell synthesis.
10 Reasons to Add Pineapple to your Water Daily
1. Fights inflammation
Bromelain possesses potent anti-inflammatory properties, and is known to help the body remove toxins by combating inflammation that affects all organs and tissues within the body. Eating pineapple on a regular basis can be very beneficial in the treatment of sport injuries and arthritis by reducing both pain and inflammation.
2. Helps with weight loss
Thanks to its fiber content, pineapple takes more time to digest, which in turn causes longer feeling of satiety. Thiamine accelerates the metabolism by turning carbs into energy, and studies show that drinking pineapple water in the morning helps prevent fat and sugar cravings later in the day.
3. Flushes parasites from liver and intestines
As discussed earlier, bromelain possesses many beneficial properties, among which is its anti-parasitic activity. According to a few sources, 3-day pineapple fast kills off tape worms.
4. Regulates the thyroid
Both bromelain and iodine in pineapples are effective in alleviating symptoms associated with thyroiditis as well as improving various autoimmune disorders.
5. Balances electrolytes
Potassium contained in pineapple strengthens the body and helps maintain adequate balance of electrolytes in the body, preventing injuries and cramps.
6. Gets rid of heavy metals and toxins
The fiber content as well as the many enzymes and antioxidants help detoxify the body from heavy metals and toxic matter.
7. Works as a digestive aid
Bromelain improves the digestion of proteins and thus works as digestive aid.
8. Improves vision
As mentioned in the very beginning, pineapple contains vitamin A and beta-carotene, both of which are beneficial for eyesight. According to a study published in the Archives of Ophthalmology, eating three servings of pineapple daily lowers the risk of macular degeneration, the major cause of vision loss in elderly.
9. Strengthens gums and helps whiten and preserve teeth
It has been scientifically shown that bromelain acts as natural stain remover. It also combats plaque effectively.
10. Prevents Cancer
According to a research published in the journal Planta Medica, bromelain was even more effective than chemotherapy drug 5-fluorauracil in treating cancer in an animal study.
“This antitumoral effect [of bromelain] was superior to that of 5-FU [5-fluorouracil], whose survival index was approximately 263 %, relative to the untreated control,” the researchers noted.