When Columbus set sail westward, his goal was to find the spice islands of Asia, particularly looking for black pepper. This spice has been valued to the extent of being used as currency, but today its value is notably diminished. It`s such as shame though, given that black pepper, particularly black pepper essential oil, is packed with a wide range of health benefits.
Its benefits depend on the way it is used, as it can be applied topically, ingested, or inhaled aromatically. Read on to learn more about the three ways of consuming this oil and the benefits you can reap from each.
Black pepper essential offers a wide plethora of healing properties, including analgesic, antibacterial, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anticatarrhal, antioxidant, anti-arthritic, carminative, circulatory, diaphoretic, laxative, stimulant, diuretic, and rubefacient.
When used topically, black pepper essential oil should be used in moderation due to its extensive warming sensation. But, it is this warming that makes it effective for muscle relaxation.
Its muscle relaxing and antispasmodic properties make it extremely beneficial for those suffering from cramps and pulls. What`s more, its antioxidant content removes toxic matter from the blood, such as uric acid, which in turns helps with conditions like gout, rheumatism, and chronic arthritis.
When ingested, black pepper essential oil supplies the body with sesquiterpenes, potent antioxidants which promote urination and sweating, body`s natural ways of flushing out toxins.
Given that it increases the production of bile and other acidic juices in the stomach, this oil also boosts digestion, helping break down food and processing it more effectively.
Last but not least, black pepper essential oil also helps relax the mind. When used aromatically, typically combined with juniper, lavender, frankincense, and cedar wood, it helps alleviate mental stress. It has been scientifically shown that it helps people deal with the mental stress that comes with smoking cessation.
Health Benefits of Black Pepper Essential Oil ( The List)
- It reduces tendonitis, muscle injuries, and symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties
- It alleviates the discomfort caused by gas, diarrhea, and constipation. These benefits are attributed to its gastro-protective, antispasmodic, and antidiarrheal properties
- It has been found that supplementation with black pepper increases HDL cholesterol, while reducing the concentration of LDL cholesterol
- When taken internally, black pepper essential oil supports proper circulation and stimulates bile flow and mucus
- As discussed earlier, it helps reduce cigarette cravings as well as symptoms of anxiety in smokers who are deprived from smoking
- It has been scientifically shown that olfactory stimulation with black pepper essential oil helps speed up swallowing in patients with neurological disorders due to its appetite-stimulating properties