Did you know that eggshells are an excellent source of calcium? As little as half a teaspoon of eggshells contains up to 900 mg of calcium, 24 mg of magnesium, 8.4 mg of phosphorus, 8 mg of potassium, and 9mg of sodium. Their nutritional profile, composition, and ability to re-mineralize teeth make them ideal for healing cavities. All you have to do is to boil the shells from an organic egg for baout five minutes. Grind them into powder and then incorporate in your daily diet by adding them to smoothies or to your meals.
Beneficial Medicinal Properties of Eggshells
1. As mentioned above, eggshell`s composition is very similar to the one of human bones and teeth. The calcium contained in the shell (93percent), helps improve the hematopoietic function of the bone marrow. As study done in dentistry school in the Philippine has found that teeth brushed with eggshell toothpaste had less plaque build up and stronger enamel
2. Apart from calcium, eggshells also contain minerals like silicon, sodium, potassium, iron, sulfur, phosphorus, magnesium, aluminum, and more.
3. Eggshells are packed with 27 elements! The protein contained in the shell consists of amino acids like lysine, isoleucine, methionine, and cysteine. As long as prepared properly, eggshells are one of the best natural ways to obtain calcium.
4. Eggs shells are particularly beneficial for infants as their bodies undergo more intense formation of bone tissue, which requires constant flow of calcium. Shells helps promote activation of blood in the bone tissue and adding them to baby food can be useful in terms of preventing rickets and anemia, which typically go hand in hand.
5. According to a 2003 study published in the International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Research and led by J. Rovensky of the National Institute of Rheumatic Diseases, eggshell powder stopped loss of bone density, increased mobility, and reduced osteoarthritis pain in post-menopausal women.
6. As found by the National Institute for Health, eggshell powder strengthens the bones but it also helps the body produce healthier cells. At the same time, it even lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
Note: When using eggshells for medicinal purposes, it`s imperative to use organic eggs. This helps avoid antibiotics or any chemicals.
Boil the eggshells long enough in order to kill off any harmful bacteria. Then, cover them with cheesecloth to keep pests at bay and air-dry in the sunlight. Another option is to dry them in the oven, preferably at 140 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15minutes. When done, grind them using a coffee grinder, as this ensures your powder is safe for human consumption. When processed this way, the resulting particles are tiny and finer in texture.
Store the eggshell powder in a seal container and keep it in the refrigerated between 40 degrees Fahrenheit and 0 degrees.
Take ½ a teaspoon daily. The most common way is to add it to a glass of water, but feel free to add it to a morning smoothie or even to your daily oatmeal. Given that vitamin D increases the bioavailability of calcium, make sure you eat organ meats like liver or get enough sunlight.