According to a recent study, lavender oil is just as effective as Valium, Prozac or Xanax for signs of anxiety.
Since financial, family, and health problems have become quite common these days, the life of the average American citizen became much more stressful. But, sometimes anxiety may become so severe that completing a simple task is difficult. This is typically a sign of generalized anxiety disorder, a condition in which the person worries about many things, often without or little reason to do so. The stress level of these people is extremely high and it often interferes with their daily activities.
Anxiety disorders are extremely common in America, affecting nearly 6.8 million adults. The symptoms usually start during adolescence and worsen during a stressful period in life. It is worth mentioning that women are more prone to this mental illness.
Signs of Anxiety in Women
- Trembling or twitching
- Difficulty swallowing
- Stomach pains and nausea
- Feeling the need to go to the bathroom frequently
- Constant feelings of worry and tension
- Worrying about simple, everyday tasks
- Inability to relax
- Unrealistic view of problems
- Difficulty concentrating
- Restlessness and being “on edge” or easily startled
- Feeling tired all the time
- Irritability and mood swings
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Frequent headaches
- Depression symptoms
- Muscle tension, aches and body pains
Medications to Treat Anxiety
Benzodiazepines like Ativan, Valium, and Xanax are the most common drugs used to treat anxiety. They are highly addictive and once the person becomes addicted to these chemicals, they may experience serious issues if they stop to take them. Other common medications used to treat anxiety disorders include antidepressants like Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, and Lexapro, all of which are associated with various side effects.
Lavender Oil is an Effective Non-Drug Alternative
Lavender has been found to be just as effective as anxiety drugs. According to a study published in the journal Phytomedicine, lavender oil showed the same effects as the pharmaceutical drug lorazepam (Ativan). Moreover, it showed neither sedative effects nor a potential for abuse or dependence. Similar studies confirmed these properties of lavender and many other benefits. Among them are:
- Lavender can be used for painful and inflammatory conditions including migraines and joint pain
- Lavender can help people who suffer from agitation related to dementia
- Lavender helps with restlessness, nervousness, and insomnia
- Lavender helps with depression symptoms
How to Take Lavender Oil to Calm Nervousness and Other Signs of Anxiety
Lavender oil can be taken by adults, but finding capsules at a health store can be difficult. The lavender oil capsule is called Lavela WS 1265 and can be found at online stores. Make sure you consult a health professional to find the dosage which will fit your needs.
Lavender leaves, lavender flowers, and lavender essential oil are more available and can be added to bath water.
- Add six drops of lavender oil extract to bath water
- Add ¼ to ½ cup of dried lavender flowers to bath, or
- Prepare lavender tea using 1-2 tablespoons of whole, dried flowers for each cup of boiling water
When combined with pharmaceuticals such as Ativan, Xanax, and Valium, lavender may increase the amount of drowsiness. So, if you are taking any of the medications above or narcotics like codeine and antidepressants, consult with a health care practitioner.