A migraine is a moderate or severe headache felt as pain on one or both sides of the head. Most migraine sufferers also experience symptoms like vomiting, increased sensitivity to sound or light, and nausea. The pain is also likely to become much more intense with physical activity. They are typically caused by factors like hormonal changes, stress, fatigue, or some foods like peanuts and chocolate.
Migraine is quite prevalent health condition, affecting one in every fifteen men and one in every five women. According to the National Headache Foundation, over 29.5 million people suffer from migraines in the U.S alone.
There are a few types of migraines, out of which the ones below are the most common:
- Migraine with aura: The warning signs like seeing flashing lights occur just right before the attack starts
- Migraine without aura: This is the most common type, occurring without any warning signs
- Migraine aura without headache: This type is known as silent migraine and is manifested by symptoms of migraine, but without the headache
When to Call 999?
- Headache accompanied with stiff neck, seizures, rash, mental confusion, and fever
- Slurred or garbled speech
- A sudden headache unlike any you have experienced before
- Paralysis in one side of the face or in one arm
Otherwise, migraine doesn’t indicate something more serious, and can be treated naturally. This article presents an amazing recipe called “the ginger ale”, which has been shown to work wonders when it comes to alleviating migraine and its symptoms.
So, if you would like to find a natural migraine reliever instead of popping up pills, read on for more in-depth information on this ginger ale recipe.
Migraine Home Remedies: Ginger Ale Recipe
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup ginger, peeled and grated
- Sparkling carbonated water
- Juice of 2 times
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Pour the water in a bowl and bring it to boil
- Once it reaches a boiling point, add the ginger
- Lower the heat and simmer for about five minutes
- Strain the mixture using a kitchen strainer
- Mix the sparkling water with water
- Add the lime juice and honey
Health benefits of this super drink
“Ginger tea is meant to be effective during migraine attacks. It works as an anti-inflammatory agent. Ginger blocks prostagladins- the chemical messengers that cause a slight swelling in the brain,” says Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD.
Ginger Ale Recipe: Treat Chronic Inflammation, Pain And Migraine
Multiple studies done on ginger and its healing abilities have shown that it has the ability to relieve migraine, muscle pain, back pain, and almost all kinds of pain due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties.
Other ways to use ginger to relieve the symptoms of migraines:
- Crush the ginger and boil with some water. Drinking this warm beverage exhibits notable reduction in the pain caused by a migraine
- Mix dry ginger powder with a bit of water to create the paste. Apply the paste onto the forehead
- Inhale the vapors of boiling ginger water to relieve a headache