A chronic cough is a cough which lasts more than eight weeks. It affects your sleep and leaves you feeling drained. Furthermore, severe cases of chronic cough can lead to lightheadedness and vomiting.
The most common symptoms of a chronic cough include hoarseness, runny or stuffy nose, heartburn, wheezing, shortness of breath, frequent throat clearing, sore throat, and postnasal drip.
While an occasional cough is normal and it goes away on its own, a chronic one is typically a result of an underlying medical problem. Here are some of the most common causes, alone or in combination:
- Postnasal drip: When the sinuses or the nose produce excess mucus, which drips down the back of the throat.
- Asthma: An asthma-related cough might appear after an upper respiratory tract infection or become worse when you are exposed to chemicals or certain fragrances.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): The stomach acid goes back into the tube connecting the stomach and the throat, leading to irritation and chronic coughing.
- Blood pressure drugs: Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, which are prescribed for hypertension and heart failure, are known to cause chronic cough.
- Chronic bronchitis: Chronic bronchitis is usually part of the spectrum of smoking-related lung disease called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Infections: A cough is likely to linger long after other symptoms of an infection like a cold, flu, or pneumonia have gone away. Pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, is a common cause of a chronic cough.
While there is no cure for chronic cough and chronic bronchitis, there are medications to help alleviate the symptoms. Avoiding smoking and smoking environments is also a must!
The good news is that there are natural remedies available as well, which help soothe the irritation in the throat and relieve the symptoms in an all-natural way.
The remedy below is calls for honey and bananas, both of which are common, yet extremely beneficial ingredients. The preparation is extremely simple and it will take only a few minutes of your time. It can be safely used by both children and adults, and it can help treat other respiratory issues as well.
- 400 ml of boiling water
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp of raw honey
As already mentioned above, the preparation of this miraculous remedy is extremely simple! All you have to do is to adhere to the few basic steps below:
- Bring the water to a boiling point
- Mash the bananas using a fork
- Add the mashed bananas in the water
- Remove from heat and steep for half an hour
- Stir in the honey
- Consume it warm!
For optimal results, drink 100 ml of the remedy four times a week.