Lighting scented candles is all about the nice smell and creating ambience, a practice which is very common for most people. People are buying a lot of candles and by a simple visit to the storey you can lines and lines of them for sale. However, it turns out that both scented and non-scented candles can be very dangerous, due to the soot they produce.
Research has also shown that many premature deaths are directly related to soot in the environment. Particle exposure leads to around 20,000 premature deaths in America each year. Many of these deaths were caused by soot-related diseases. Data also show that soot annually causes almost 300,000 asthma attacks and 2 million lost workdays due to respiratory problems.”
Unfortunately, Meghan Budden has learned this the hard way. She kept two candles burning in her for about 6 hours. The next day, both her and her son`s nose were full with soot which was impossible to get cleaned. The worst part is that we simply cannot know how much of the soot has entered their lungs.
Check out the video below for the full story!
Therefore, it turns out scented candles can be extremely detrimental for the indoor air quality and the health of your family members. Buying beeswax candles and diffusing essential oils work as far better options.
If you are interested in making your own aromatic beeswax candle, take a look at the following video.