Apart from trying to wisely choose the food items they buy, healthy conscious individuals want to make healthy decisions when it comes to their personal hygiene products, too. To stay on the safe side, check out the information below so that you can fight unwanted B.O safely.
How Does Deodorant Work?
Numerous bacteria on the skin feed on proteins and fats which are excreted in your sweat, which in turn releases bad odor. Deodorants fight B.O in one or two ways, and some do both:
- The first kind of deodorants eliminated the bacteria which cause bad smell in the first place. For instance, some of them use triclosan as key ingredient to make the skin salty and inhibit bacteria`s growth.
- The second kind of deodorants involves antiperspirants which work by blocking the sweat glands with aluminum, which in turn prevents that stinky reaction from occurring.
Aluminum Deodorant History & Health Risks
The first aluminum-based antiperspirant was introduced back in 1903, named Everdry. It was made of water-based solution of aluminum chloride which was rubbed onto the underarms with the help of a cotton ball. But, while it was quite effective, this antiperspirant led to certain side-effects like irritation.
In the 1930s, Arrid Cream produced a cream-based antiperspirant using aluminum sulphate and about then years later; aluminum hydroxy chloride became the key ingredient of choice. A few decades later, the FDA warned the public about the side-effects of long-term exposure to aluminum found in deodorant and personal products.
Health Risks of Aluminum
Aluminum has been associated with an elevated risk of Alzheimer`s disease, and some experts claim that most brain studies show an increased level of aluminum. Although further research is needed to determine the true link between the two, the health risks acknowledged so far cannot be taken for granted.
For instance, earlier studies have linked aluminum to bone abnormalities like brittle and weak bones. Other studies connect aluminum to respiratory issues like limited lung function, asthma, and wheezing. Ultimately, this chemical is also associated with an increased risk for lung and bladder cancers.
What to Do Instead
Simply put, you are left with two options! The first one is to try balancing the bacteria of your armpits and prevent the sweat glands from producing that smelly reaction, and the other is to opt for aluminum-free deodorants. Below you have a list of 39 deodorants without ANY aluminum. Check them out!
- Nature’s Gate (Sticks and Roll-ons) all deodorants
- Natio – Natural Australian Beauty: Aluminium Free Roll-On Deodorant (Australia, UK)
- Malin+Goetz Eucalyptus Deodorant
- Madara Bio Active Deodorant
- Louis Widmer Deodorant Aluminumsalts-free
- L’Occitane Deodorants
- Living Libations Classic Poetic Pits Tree Majesty
- Lavanila The Healthy Deodorant-Pure Vanilla
- Lavilin Deodorants
- Lavera Deodorants
- Kaia Naturals: The Takesumi detox made from bamboo charcoal
- Hippy Paste by Earth Conscious
- Herban Cowboys Deodorants
- Human Heart Nature (Philippines)
- Just 4 Kids (Natural Deodorants for Kids) UK
- Junior Varsity Naturals (Natural Deodorants for Kids)
- Jungleman All-Natural Deodorant
- Good For Girls
- Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant
- Green People Natural Deodorants
- Greenbody Natural Deodorants
- Freedom Stick Deodorants
- Fresh Kidz (Natural Deodorants for Kids)
- Every Man Jack Deodorants: Cedarwood, Citrus, Signature mint, Sandalwood
- EO Organic Deodorant: Citrus, Lavender, Vetiver
- DeodoMom Deodorants
- Hauschka Fresh Roll-on, Floral Roll-On (For Sensitive Skin)
- CocoPits Deodorants
- Coconut Snow All Natural Deodorant
- Close To Me – Uplifting Deodorant Spray
- Caitlin’s Super Natural Deodorants: Sandalwood & Olive Leaf, Bergamot & Cypress, Lavender & Currant
- Burt’s Bee’s Herbal Deodorant and Natural Skin Care for Men Deodorant
- Bubble & bee organic deodorants
- Best Deodorant Ever from Hygieia LLC: all deodorants
- Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant – Organic & Vegan
- Aubrey Organics: E Plus High C Roll-On Deodorant, Men’s Stock Natural Dry Herbal Pine Deodorant
- Annemarie Börlind
- All Good Deodorants