Turmeric is one of the most popular foods in today`s health-conscious society. Its active ingredient called curcumin is extremely effective at reducing inflammation and has been found to alleviate the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, including pain and inflammation.
A few lab tests have shown that curcumin has the ability to inhibit the growth of certain cancers, too. One particular study found that a turmeric extract containing solid amount of curcumin was capable of stabilizing colorectal cancer. Other studies show that it has the potential to prevent many form of skin disease, high cholesterol levels, stomach ulcers, colitis, Alzheimer`s disease, and many more. Most of its benefits are attributed to its ability to neutralize free radicals and stimulate body`s antioxidant enzymes, which in turn helps prevent free radical damage.
Turmeric is mostly used in South Asian cuisine and is being added to dishes to enhance the flavor. However, although turmeric is typically added to food, there are many other ways to reap its benefits without having to eat it with food. The tasty turmeric smoothie is one of those ways!
While turmeric is the key ingredient of this smoothie, mostly due its wide array of health benefits, there are many other healthy and nutritious ingredients included, making this smoothie of the healthiest and the best immune-boosting recipes out there.
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- 1 cup of coconut milk ( an excellent source of fiber and vitamins like B1,B3,B5,B6, C and E)
- ½ cup of pineapple or mango ( both of which are packed with vitamin C, a nutrient that protects against many illnesses and disease as well as immune system deficiencies)
- 1 fresh banana ( an excellent source of potassium that keeps fluid balance and maintains proper function of the brain, nerves, heart, and the muscles)
- ½ tsp of cinnamon ( a delicious and nutritious spice which lowers blood pressure levels in diabetics, lowers the risk factors for heart disease, and has a wide range of other amazing health benefits)
- ½ tsp of ginger ( treats many forms of nausea, especially morning sickness, reduces muscles pain and pain caused by arthritis, alleviates premenstrual cramps, lowers blood sugar levels and improve diabetes risk factors, and improves digestion )
- 1 tsp chia seeds (they are 40 percent fiber by weight, which makes the one of the richest sources of fiber. Some of the most well-known benefits include their ability to suppress appetite and reduce cravings, supply the body with Omega-3 fatty acid ALA, lower triglycerides, raise HDL cholesterol, and reduce belly fat, inflammation, and insulin resistance, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder ( boosts energy, increases stamina, helps prevent anemia due to its high iron content, alleviates depression, stress, mood swings, and anxiety, and it promotes healthy skin by treating acne and blemishes)
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper ( piperine, the key alkaloid in black pepper, has been found to dramatically increase the bioavailability of turmeric)
Check out the video below for step-by-step guide on how to prepare this super-healthy smoothie!