It is already a well-known fact that spirulina is a real powerhouse, containing high levels of enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Spirulina is a natural alga, often referred to as blue-green algae due to its color. Most of these pigments, including chlorophyll-a and beta-carotene are highly beneficial and bioavailable.
Spirulina can be found in literally all aquatic and terrestrial habitats, such as bare rock and soil, fresh water, damp soil, Antarctic rocks, and oceans. Most spirulina products like pills, powder, and flakes offered on the American market are obtained from shores of South America and Hawaii.
Benefits of Spirulina
Spirulina is abundant in protein, containing up to 60 percent protein which makes it a good alternative to meat. It also contains vitamin B12, a vitamin that many vegetarians are deficient in. Spirulina is also an excellent source of healthy lipids like omega 3, omega 6, and DHA.
Spurulina also contains B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, and vitamin E.
As for minerals, it is a solid source of chromium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, calcium, potassium, zinc, selenium, and sodium.
Gram-per-gram Spirulina contains:
- 280% more antioxidant potency than blueberries
- 600% more protein than tofu
- 3,100% more beta-carotene (Vit. A) than carrots
- 5,500% more iron than spinach
- Lowers the risk of cataracts and age- related macular degeneration/ keeps eyes healthy
- Possesses anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties
- Possesses antiviral activity against HIV, herpes, and hepatitis
- Improves insulin resistance
- Eases PMS symptoms
- Controls high blood pressure
- Controls cholesterol
- Protects against cancer
- Protects against chemotherapy-induced liver damage
- Alleviates allergy symptoms
- Boosts the immune system
- Helps the body detox naturally
How to Use Spirulina
The simplest way to use spirulina is to take it in the pill form or add ¼ to a teaspoon of powder isolate into a smoothie/ juice. Given that it has strong flavor which most people find not-so-delicious, it is recommended to start with small amounts and give yourself time to adjust to its flavor.