Beets have a robust nutritional value which is kept both raw and cooked. They`ve been viewed as a medicinal plant by Hippocrates and people have used them for medicinal purposes for centuries. For instance, beets have been used to treat blood disorders like anemia since they are an excellent source of iron and iodine. Besides supplying the body with vital nutrients and boosting immunity, they also provide the body with potent antioxidants.
1 Cup (170.00 g)
Vitamin C 8%
Vitamin B6 6%
Reasons to Include Beets in Your Diet
- Beets are packed with betalains and polyphenols, both of which are capable of reversing free radical damage and oxidative stress.
- Beets contain numerous minerals- copper, which destroys free radicals; iodine, which takes part in biosynthesis of thyroid hormones; iron and phosphorus which produce energy; magnesium which promotes bone health; and potassium and folate, which promote heart health.
- Beets are higher in pectin content when compared to carrot or apples. This substance provides various benefits, such as inhibiting the spread of detrimental intestinal bacteria, preventing the onset of various diseases, and dealing with removal of toxic waste and radioactive metals from the system.
- Beets are high in nitrates, which turn into nitrites when metabolized. It has been scientifically shown that nitrites open up blood vessels, improving blood flow and helping oxygen reach areas which are deprived of it. Consequently, beets work as an excellent preventative measure against dementia.
- Cobalt found in beets stimulates the production of vitamin B12 which has critical role in the formation of red blood cells.
- Beets contain vitamins like B complex, which are known to strengthen the capillary walls. Beets also promote easier digestion of vitamin D in our bodies.
- Beets boost metabolism.
- Due to the high dietary fiber content, beets improve digestion.
- Betacyanins found in beets inhibit the growth of cancerous cells.
- Beets contain betalin pigments, which makes them an excellent tool for removing toxic waste from the body.
- Beets contain folic acid, which stimulates the production of new cells and thus rejuvenates our bodies.
In a nutshell, beets possess a wide variety of healing properties which include strengthening capillary vessels, improving brain function and preventing dementia, boosting fat metabolism, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.