If you are anything like me, you have probably tried anything so that the egg shell doesn’t stick to the egg and create a mess during the peeling process. The good news is that the trick presented in this article is the first one to work!
If you are into fitness, eggs should be a critical part of your diet in order to build and repair your muscles. They provide a wide plethora of additional benefits, too. So, before we present the trick, let`s discuss eggs` nutritional profile and benefits first!
Both the white and the yolk of the egg are packed with nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, and essential fatty acids. Eggs are an excellent source of vitamins A, B2, B5, B6, B12, D, E, and K as well as minerals like calcium, zinc, phosphorus, and selenium.
Regular consumption of eggs increase the levels of HDL ( good ) cholesterol, which in turn lowers the risk of diseases like stroke and heart disease. Eggs also contain choline, a nutrient which is used to build cell membranes and to stimulate the production of signaling molecules in the brain. They lower triglyceride levels, promote eye health and prevent macular degeneration, promote weight loss, and many more.
Once we have covered most of the benefits of the humble leg, let`s present the trick that will make tour life easier. The next time you boil an egg, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Simple as that!
Older eggs are more alkaline so you can peel them easily, while fresh eggs are more acidic and removing the shell is more difficult. Baking soda works by increasing the alkalinity, allowing you to peel the egg with an ease.
Here are some more tricks for the perfect boiled eggs:
- If you are unsure about the freshness of the eggs, try this trick: put the eggs in water and observe them. If they sink but stand vertically, they are ideal for cooking. If they sink horizontally, they are very fresh.
- To prevent the eggs from cracking, heat them prior putting them in hot water. You can either take them from the fridge and leave to reach room temperature or keep them hot water a few minutes.
- If you want your eggs to have a soft yolk, put them in hot water with a tablespoon and measure the time. You will need about three minutes, depending on the egg`s size.
- If you want to get hard boiled eggs, place them into cold water and then start to boil them.
- Always make sure that the eggs are fully covered with water while cooking if you are to cook them evenly.
- Boiling the eggs for too long makes the yolk greenish and egg white similar to gum.
- After the boiling, put the eggs in cold water in order to peel them more easily.
- To get an omelet in a shell, shake the egg prior cooking. This trick is known as “golden egg” as the inner side is quite yellow in color.