Cabbage is known for its robust nutritional profile and abundance in cholesterol-lowering benefits, fiber-related components, unique cancer preventive properties, anti-inflammatory properties, and many more. Now, we have yet another reason to love this veggie! Have you heard of a cabbage compress and its benefits? If not, read on!
Cabbage has been long used to treat swollen and bruised skin. It is packed with phytonutrients, glutamine, anthocyanins, and vitamins, all of which act as potent anti-inflammatory agents. So, this is what makes cabbage good for anti-cancer and anti-joint pain! although the evidence regarding cabbage`s use as arthritis and joint pain treatment has been anecdotal, many arthritis sufferers swear by its effectiveness. How have they used it? As a WRAP!
- Cabbage, preferably red
- Gauze/ bandage
- Aluminum foil
- Oven rolling pin or meat hammer
- Remove the outer leaf of the cabbage and wash it thoroughly
- Dry the leaf and remove the hard stem
- Put the leaf on the counter and bruise it with a rolling pin to release its juice
- Wrap the cabbage in a foil and warm it up in the oven for a few minutes
- Put the cabbage over the affected area
- Cover the leaf with gauze or bandage
- Keep the compress on for about 60 minutes
- Repeat the procedure two or three times daily, changing the leaf each time
Note: It is recommended to use red cabbage since it contains anthocyains, chemicals which are known to reduce inflammation and joint pain. Both green and red cabbage are extensively studied for their beneficial effect on ulcers.