Dispose of the Inhaler and Cure Asthma For Good with These Diet Changes
Coughing, wheezing, severe shortness of breath, and chest pain or tightness are some of the most frequent symptoms of asthma attack. Suffocation is oftentimes present as well.
It is manifested by thickening of the bronchial tubes and chronic inflammation, which results in difficulty in breathing.
Typically, the treatment of this chronic, long-term condition includes use of inhalers, which have the ability to relieve the symptoms and to reduce the risk of asthma attack.
Sadly, asthma affects an estimated 34 million people in the U.S. Therefore, taking some preventive measures is of utmost importance. Proper nutrition has a key role in preventing asthma attack, as it prevents inflammation of the air passages, dilute the mucus in the lungs, and it reduces the allergy reactions, which are contributing factor to the development of this condition.
List of Foods You Should Consume
- Brewed coffee (not instant or processed) with caffeine, or tea with theobromine
- Fruits and juices rich in antioxidants and vitamin C
- Pungent foods, chili peppers, onion, garlic, and spicy mustard
- Fish oil rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as tuna, mackerel, and salmon
In addition to the aforementioned foods, you should consume foods rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene, in order to increase the lung capacity, which in turn prevents respiratory issues. Also, it is recommended to consume foods rich in chlorophyll in order to cleanse the colon and liver. Other foods you may find beneficial are the following:
- Raw carrots or carrot juice
- Ribs of celery
- Pineapple, strawberry, blueberries, cranberries
- Lemon grass
- Ginger root
Suggestions (for one portion)
- ¼ pineapple+ 1 cucumber+ 2 capsicums (yellow/red)+ ½ bunch watercress+ ½ lemon
- 2 green apples+ 6 ribs celery+ a bunch of spinach+ a bunch of parsley+ ¼ lemon
- 1 cucumber+ 2 medium-sized beetroots+ 3 sticks lemongrass+ ½ lemon
- ¼ pineapple+ 1 fennel+ 8-10 leaves of kale+ 3-4 radish (pungent)+ ½ lemon
- 1 oz (1 shot) wheatgrass juice+ a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 cups of strawberries+ 1 cup cranberries+ 1 pomegranate
List of Foods You Should Avoid
- Citrus fruits
- Alcohol and soft drinks
- Animal products like cow milk, dairy, eggs and meat ( mutton, fish, chicken, beef)
- Vegetable oil like safflower, sunflower, and corn
- Sodium and monosodium glutamate