Plants should be part of everybody’s home due to their ability to produce oxygen and cleanse the air. A new study made by NASA claims that some types of plants have the ability to filter the air better than others. This is their list of must-have plants at home:
1. Aloe– This plant is amazing because it raises oxygen levels. It also absorbs carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and formaldehyde. One aloe plant is better than 9 biological air purifiers combined.
2. Ficus (FicusElastica) –Ficus is very easy to maintain because it does not need a lot of light. This plant is very effective in cleansing the air of formaldehyde. Remember to keep the plant where children can’t reach it, because its leaves can be poisonous.
3. Ivy (Hedera Helix) –Ivy can remove about 60% of the toxins in the air and up to 58% of feces particles within 6 hours from the moment it is brought in the area.
4. Spider plant (ChlorophytumComosum) –The spider plant has the ability to make photosynthesis under minimal light. It also absorbs the toxins in the air, such as styrene, carbon monoxide, and formaldehyde. One spider plant can purify the air in almost 200 square meters of space.
5. Snake plant (SansevieriaTrifasciata “Laurentii”) –The snake plant is extremely resistant and needs very little light to make photosynthesis. This plant removes the toxins very easily. Also, is good to have a snake plant in your bedroom, because it is able to produce a lot of oxygen at night.
6. Peace lilies (“Mauna Loa” Spathiphyllum) –Peace lilies is amazing when it comes to removing chemicals and toxins from the air. This plant filters trichloroethylene and formaldehyde from the
NASA recommends between 15 and 19 of these plants to be placed in an area of 500 square meters. This means that you will need 4 plants in about 80 square meter area. Also, do not forget to put at least one plant in the bedroom.